What is a Medium ?
Mediumship is a gift. The word ‘Mediumship’ is a term used to describe communication with spirits. This means that over and above the usual five human senses of sight, hearing, touch, smell and taste, that the Medium also has the awareness of an additional sense which allows them to connect with deceased loved ones of their own or others, on the spiritual level.
Yet dispite many of the misconceptions of the past, Mediums are simply ordinary people with everyday lives, jobs and families. The word ‘Medium’ simply defines a link between two areas; so a Spirit Medium is purely a link between this world and the Spirit World. Everyone has Mediumistic capabilities to some degree; either recognised or unrecognised as yet, and as such can be eveloped.
The three main categories of Mediumship are recognised to be: Clairvoyance; Clairaudience and Clairsentience.
Clairvoyance – This word literally translated infers: ‘spiritual clear-seeing’. This indicates that the Medium has the ability to ‘see’ Spirits as naturally as they see the sunshine or flowers. They can ‘see’ a personality communicating from the Spiritual Realms in their minds eye. These communications can come to the Medium as pictures, a bit like watching a television screen with their inner view. Although some Mediums are also able to see a Spirit communicator with their Physical eyes too, as if this Spirit person in the same room as themselves. A Mediumship Reading (usually by request) occurs when a Medium describes what they are seeing to whoever is the requesting a Spiritual reading. It is not always deceased people that Mediums can see, for this spiritual sight can also extend to passed animals or significant objects and symbols, and some objects will be presented to the Medium from the spirit world to be interpreted symbolically.
Clairaudience – Infers ‘spiritual clear hearing’. With this form of Mediumship the Medium is able to hear the spirit communicating with them. Again this can be perceived as voices or thoughts running through the mind received in response to queries or questions. Sometimes a Medium will actually hear someone talking to them with their physical ears. The medium will not only "hear" voices but can also be given music or singing, with the lyrics of a song also being at times relevant to a message to a sitter.
Clairsentience - ‘spiritual clear-sensing’, has been found to be the most common form of mediumship experienced, and especially so by people just beginning to become aware of their mediumistic abilities. This type of Mediumship takes the form of the Medium sensing a spirit presence close by, usually through feelings. Clairsentient Mediums can often feel as if they are being touched; sensing feelings of increased heat or cold or slight breezes wafting past them; and it is not uncommon for a clairsentient medium to sense a feeling of cobwebs on their face when there are none present in the room, or to become aware of fragrances elevant to the spirit presence during their time on earth. For these particular sensings are often offered by the spirit world as intended memory triggers of some aspect of the passing person, or to validate which particular spirit presence is presently communicating.
Spiritual Mediumship is determined by at least one of these above methods in their communicating with the spirit world however; many Mediums ultilise all three.
The Quality’s of good Mediumship:
· Honesty and Integrity
· Ego-free – The ethical Medium will always determine to leave their own ego out of any information being received; will not attempt to pluck at straws and/or guess at interpretations, and should stop the reading if they feel they are not receiving accurate information for the sitter.
· Validation – its always an important part of the Mediumship reading to provide as much validation as possible, this would include evidence in some form to identify the Spirit Communicator.
· The ethical Medium strives always to give out only helpful, solid and positive information to encourage and provide helpful tools through the message for the sitter to further opportunities new for growth.
· Non-Intrusive – All readings should aways be given in an non intrusive manner and with love.
· The Medium should always be respectful of the sitter’s reason for ending any reading if curtailed unexpectedly.
· Intent – A professional manner is always an important aspect of any Medium work as well as a determination to work in a clear and positive manner so that the sitter feels comfortable.
· Clarify – The Medium will be prepared to ask Spirit for further information if what they are receiving is not clear enough for the sitter.
· Release - The ethical Medium will always be prepared to let go of the reading and not force it when it's going nowhere or when it is complete.
· Boundaries -The Medium should be prepared to recognise that they too have their own boundaries and step back from the work where needed.
· Confidentiality – The Ethical Mediums will always keep any and all information received Confidential.
· Non Dependance – The Medium will not allow a sitter to become co-dependant or reliant upon the reader and will be prepared to give advice and after care where appropriate.
· Pure Intent – The Medium should not simply work for money - sometimes sharing voluntarily is important to keep persective of their abilities.
If you have any further questions on Mediumship, please feel free to post these on the forums.